It’s never too early to practice your Thanksgiving skills! In our house Sunday is our cooking day. We like to make some meals so that if we get busy we are not tempted to eat out all the time. On Saturday we decided to try grilling a 12 lb turkey. This is more than enough meat for 2 people.
- 1 Whole Turkey
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic
- Place coals on the grill and allow them to heat up and get ashy for 30 minutes.
- While the grill is heating, prepare your turkey
- Remove neck and giblets form the turkey and remove extra skin.
- In a bowl mix olive oil, rosemary, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Baste the turkey all over very well. Get under the wings, inside, top and bottom. *Optional- tie his legs together. (you may not want to stuff your turkey because cook time would be very long.)
- Separate coals into two piles and place a drip pan in the center.
- Add 12-15 pieces of coal to the pile and cover place the grates on top.
- Grease the grates with oil.
- Place the turkey (breast side up) on the grates over the drip pan.
- Allow the turkey to cook for 12min per LB.
- Every hour add some coal to keep the temperature of the grill between 250-300 degrees. Try not to open the lid of the grill unless you have to.
- Breast meat should be at around 170 degrees and thigh meat should be around 180 degrees. Once the turkey is at the correct temperature, remove from the grill and let him cool for a while.
- Carve and serve!
Once the turkey is cooked, you can use it for so many things. We have it in salad, for breakfast with eggs, sandwiches, hot with veggies! Enjoy!