Today we got up, finished our chores and then walked around the local farmers market. I was thrilled when I saw a few of the vendors were selling pumpkins. Hooray for Fall! I’ve always wanted to make my own pumpkin puree so I decided that this was the day to experiment. It was so simple!
Ingredients: 1 Medium cooking Pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cut the pumpkin stem off and cut the pumpkin in half.
- Use an ice cream scoop to remove seeds and pulp. (set aside for later)
- Slice pumpkin into manageable chunks.
- Place pumpkin in a baking pan and cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 90minutes.
- Scoop pumpkin out of the shell (should be very soft and easy to scoop out with a spoon.)
- Put pumpkin into a mixing bowl, mix until pureed. (You could also use a blender or puree tool.)
- One Medium pumpkin gave me 7 cups of pumpkin puree.
- Store pumpkin in freezer bags for later use. I measured 2 cups per bag.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- While your pumpkin is cooking. Rinse and clean pumpkin seeds.
- Lay seeds out to dry.
- Coat baking sheet with coconut oil.
- Place seeds on sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake at 325F for 25 min, half way through stir seeds so they are fully coated in oil and sea salt.
I used some of the pumpkin puree today to make these delicious Pumpkin swirl muffins.