The first thing you need to do is clean all the junk out of your pantry and fridge. Don’t eat it until it is gone and then start, get a trash bag and throw it out!
We have found that the best places to shop are:
- Trader Joes- best for nuts and produce
- Wegmans- best for anything, this is your one stop shop and it is priced right!
- Local Farmers markets- if you are in the DC metro area check out the list. These tend to be a little bit more expensive but you know it is fresh and you are helping out your local farming community.
- Join a CSA (food co-op).
Shopping List Essentials:
- Almond Flour- We order in bulk from here.
- Coconut Flour
- Tapioca Flour (a safe starch)
- Flaxseed meal
- Avoid- Grains, white flour, wheat flour, corn meal, corn starch, soy
Oils and sweetner alternatives:
- Grass fed butter
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Macadamia nut oil
- Maple syrup
- Local honey(local helps with allergies).
- Raw Palm Sugar or Pure cane sugar, Stevia
- Avoid- Sugar, Sugary Syrups, Agave Nectar, Vegetable Oil, Corn Oil, Canola Oil
- Check out my post on the best oils and sweeteners to use here.
Vegetables and seasonings:
- All vegetables and as fresh as possible. Try to buy in season.
- Moderately enjoy Sweet Potatoes if you are active.
- Avoid- legumes, startches, corn and white potatoes, seasoings with sugar in them
- Eat fruit in moderation.
- If your goal is to lose weight avoid or limit fruits. You won’t gain weight from fruit but you may not lose either. I have found this to be especially true for women.
- When eating fruit try to stick with “in season” fruits or berries and buy as fresh as possible.
Meat and Eggs:
- Eat it and lots of it.
- Try to buy fresh from a butcher or check out www.uswellnessmeats.com, Wegmans sells Applewood meats that are better options. Trader Joes and Giant sells Nitrate free bacon (TJ brand or Nature’s Promise).
- Your body needs lots of protein and eating protein will keep you from feeling hungry.
- Avoid- Pre packaged lunch meats, Nitrates, Read meat labels, you’d be amazed what they put in your meat.
- Dry Roasted nuts and seeds- No peanuts
- Nut butters
- Goji Berries
- Fruit, dried fruit, Dark Chocolate 72% or higher.
- SoDelicious brand ice cream sold at Giant, Wegmans and Target or Here
- Sweet Potato Chips (sometimes I need a crunch chip and I don’t have time to make them. Read the labels before you buy- look for just sweet potatoes, sea salt and safflower or sunflower oil.)
- Unsweetened Ice Tea
- Coffee (decaf prefered)
- Hot teas
- Grass Fed, raw Milk (primal)
- Coconut Milk
- Almond Milk
- Avoid- Soda, sugary beverages, Dairy (if you must have dairy, get full fat), too much alcohol
Remember not to stress about the food list. Buy Fresh, Buy Local, Buy Real!