This week I had some fun making new recipe’s. Before I went to Paleo, I was addicted to cereal. I would eat cereal for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack! I loved cinnamon toast crunch and raisin bran. Since oats, sugar, wheat and all things cereal are anti-paleo, I had to make my own. It was pretty tough training myself to avoid my daily treat but I overcame for 6 months! This past week I decided to make my own cereal and now I am not sure why I waited for so long. It is fast, simple and delicious. My one problem, I tend to avoid dairy because I think it might cause some binding up issues. I am going to start adding in full fat milk with my cereal on occasion and see if I notice a difference. My other option is to eat the cereal with almond milk.
Honey Nut Cereal
1/2 C almonds (I used shelled and sliced)
1/2 C walnuts
1/2 C Pecans
1/2 C sunflower seeds
1 C pre-soaked raisins (cover in water for about 10-15 min, until they puff up a little)
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
3 Tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees
- In blender or food processor blend the nuts, cinnamon and sea salt.
- In a large bowl melt coconut oil.
- Combine Coconut oil, vanilla, honey and raisins and mix until well blended
- Combine the liquids and nut mixture in the large bowl and mix well.
- Taste test the before you bake! You may like it a little sweeter or saltier than my taste buds.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Spread the granola evenly over the sheet. (A thin layer)
- Bake 40 minutes for a nice crunchy granola. (The longer you bake, the crunchier it will get. Cooling also makes it crunchier.)
- Allow to cool completely.
- Eat with Almond or Coconut Milk