These initially started out as a healthy breakfast muffin but then I found Civilized Caveman’s amazing Maple Vanilla Frosting and knew it would turn these Carrot Cakes into awesome cupcakes. Super hubby has always hated on my love of carrot cake… guess who devoured 3 of these yesterday and asked me to keep them in rotation for our meal planning (Wife Success)!!!!
The good news is, you can enjoy these for breakfast and then add some frosting and have them with a Hot Tea for dessert at the end of a busy day.
- 3 Eggs
- 1tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 C Almond Flour
- 2 C Carrots, Shredded
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 C. Maple Syrup
- 1/4 C. Walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 C. Unsweetened shredded Coconut
- 1/2 C. Raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a food processor ( I use a ninja), chop carrots until finely shredded
- Add eggs, Syrup and Vanilla to the carrots and blend gently
- In a mixing bowl, combine Almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the carrot mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. This can be done by hand or with a mixer.
- Add chopped Walnuts, raisins and shredded Coconut to the mixture and stir by hand.
- Place muffin liners in a muffin tin and fill each cup 3/4 of the way up with batter.
- Bake muffins for 20-24 minutes at 350. Insert toothpick to check doneness of the muffins. (If making mini- muffins, cook them for 12 minutes)
- Place muffins on a cooling rack until they are cool enough to serve
- Optional: Icing them with Civilized Caveman’s delicious Maple Vanilla Frosting for a sweet dessert
*I garnished mine with a heart I cut out of a raw carrot slice- super fancy I know!!!*